College Parents of America
College Parents of America identifies itself as the “only national membership association dedicated to advocating and to serving on behalf of current and future college parents.” They have numerous articles in their Parent Resource Center.
Top Ten Freshman Cries for Help
A Parents’ Guide to Freshman-Year Woes by Frank Rizzo, Dean for Student Development at Marymount University.
Parents and Friends For Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
PFLAG is a nonprofit organization that promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons and their families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights. Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays provides opportunity for dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity, and acts to create a society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity.
Brochure on Talking to College Students about Underage Drinking"
The Century Council, launched in May 1991 and funded by America’s leading distillers, promotes responsible decision-making regarding alcohol and fights alcohol abuse, focusing on drunk driving and underage drinking problems.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)"
FERPA governs access to educational records.
Other Recommended Readings
- How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success (2015)
- Smart but Scattered Teens: The “Executive Skills” Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential (2013)
Richard Guare, Peg Dawson, and Colin Guare
- The Lost Art of Listening, Second Edition: How Learning to Listen Can Improve Relationships (2009)
Michael P. Nichols
- Helping Teens Who Cut: Understanding and Ending Self-Injury (2008)
Winner—American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Award
- Help Your Teenager Beat an Eating Disorder (2005)
James Lock and Daniel Le Grange